Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Letter to Mr. Muscles

Dear Big Armed Gym Guy,

I’m not sure you remember me, even though you probably should, but I was on the elliptical machine next to you yesterday. The reason I think that you should remember me is because you were clearly interested in studying my screen to see how many miles I'd traveled and how fast I was going. Now, while I enjoy competition, I feel that it was not warranted at that time. Just because you can go at 8.5 miles per hour does not mean that I have to do the same. If this is your way of showing off, it really wasn't working. However, I am flattered that you care what I think.

I'm sorry if you misconstrued my looking in your general direction as mutual interest in your elliptical stats, but I was actually looking past you to see if the treadmills were free so that I could go ahead and get my run in. I’ll concede, however, that your arms are very large and beautiful, but if I’m being honest, I’ve seen better – don’t feel bad though, I’m still not convinced he was human. :)

Now I’m not going to take up anymore of your time because I’m sure you have to go lift something, but just know that not everyone comes to the gym to compete with others, some of us really are there to workout/get healthy/etc.

Thanks for you time,
Island Girl

and on a related note...

Dear Gym Manager,

I understand that the temperature outside is in the low 40's, but the gym is not the place for heat. It is incredibly hard to run when there is zero air circulating and you feel like you're traveling through the Sahara. So if you wouldn't mind, please go over to the knob on the wall and give it a huge twist to the left.

Thanks,
Island Girl

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha this post is so funny. I absolutely HATE when people look over to see how fast I'm going/how far I've gone. Is it that necessary to try to feel superior to someone at the gym? We're all there for a workout and everyone is different! I say this partially because when it comes to running, I am always embarrassed when people see me "running" at 6.5 mph and sweating uncontrollably. I am sooooo NOT a runner.

Sandra said...

Love this post Island Girl! Very funny!!

Classy Stiletto said...

He wasn't human. I'll back you on that one. haha I love it. Go get 'em, Tiger. lol

Patrice said...

LOL! Love it! Too funny! :)

Meggers said...

I'm convinced there must be one of these dudes in every gym! I had a sweaty dude who was constantly staring at how fast I was going... and even worse, when ever I'd change the song on my iPod he'd look over to judge what I was listening to!

Mrs. Potts said...

If you get the gym manager to cool down your gym, could you tell me how you do it? Ours is always so hot!

Anonymous said...

It's like being in a sauna and not even being in a sauna, isn't it?

I am Harriet said...

Been there. Now I am a home gym person. :)

Anonymous said...

Great post IG!

The Other K Wick said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I loved your letters. I laughed the whole time through.

Chic Runner said...

This ALWAYS happens to me too. I once got in a race with some guy on the suckmill and was DYING but I beat him, ha ha I posted about it a while back. How annoying!

Also I hate warm gyms.. we don't want to be at the sauna! :)

amy (metz) walker said...

Hilarious!

LyndsAU said...

this is hilarious-it drives me crazy when people do this!! CRAZY CRAZY!!
and why do gyms insist on keeping it 800 degrees. bump it down to 65 please!!

Amanda said...

Thanks for stopping by from SITS today!

I was reading your post and my husband looked at me and said "what are you laughing at", so I had him come read it and he laughed too. That is soooo true, there is one in every gym!

Whitney said...

The Sahara - hilarious!
Thanks for your sweet comment on my post!

Debie Napoleon said...

Wow, this is so very true and that's why I try to go to the gym at odd times - so I am alone.