Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Want it NOW!


I'm feeling like Veruca Salt today. My morning phone call with my mother put me in that mode and I haven't been able to shake it. While I would never actually jump up on the scales and burst into song, mentally I've been screaming all day about how I want what I want and I want it now.
In less than a week I'll be celebrating a birthday.

Now I'm not one to get over excited about birthdays. I mean give me a few friends, a night out and some presents and I'm good, but this year looks to be lacking in two of those areas, and I don't think I'm okay with that.

My parents are coming this weekend to celebrate with me. I've been excited about this because we were going to do pretty much whatever I wanted to, including but not limited to going shopping and eating lots of good food. Not to mention this weekend marks the biggest football rivalry of the year for me, I mean my world revolves around this weekend (I realize this makes me sound lame), but it's the truth. So while I wasn't going to be going out with friends, I was, at least going to get stuff.
Now back to this mornings conversation. While my parents are still coming, we're not going to be spending the weekend in the city where there are actual places to shop/eat/entertain oneself, but instead we're going to visit family in the small town in which they live. So much for getting to do what you want on your birthday!!

When my actual birthday rolls around next week, I'll be working all day and then competing in a law school competition leaving no time to go out, even though there is no one here I want to celebrate with.

I'm coming across really selfish, but I swear I'm not. I just feel like when it comes to these particular family members, I always lose to them. They get their way and I'm left doing what they want. I've come to terms with these, but I really thought that at least on my birthday, I could get my way!

Overall, I'm having one of those days when I feel like a good cry would be helpful. I'm talking one of those good cries that Dane Cook talks about, you know, "I did my best!"

On the positive side, my campus coffee shop's favor of the day was pumpkin spice. At least the coffee shop cares what I want.

3 comments:

Patrice said...

lol oh I can so relate to this! I'm so sorry, I hope it ends up being an okay time for you!! Happy early birthday! Oh, and I love the Dane Cook quote, too funny!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry! That stinks! I hope you end up gettign to do at least some of the things you want!

Kelley at My Island Wedding said...

This girl in the movie freaked me out as a kid...., still have nightmares!