Thursday, October 9, 2008

I'm going to chose to laugh about this


We all know the economy is in crisis. We all know that jobs are hard to come by. We all know that stocks are down and credit is freezing. We know this is a scary time in America. Now for what we, well I, didn't know or didn't fully think about...
I'm not going to have a job this summer or next year when I graduate because no one is hiring.
You might think I'm exaggerating. So let me clarify with some examples. While talking with a couple of third year law students today, the ones getting ready to go and hit this issue head on, I found out that both of them are having trouble in the job market. This didn't surprise me, however the next part did and still does. One of them, D, said he worked for a firm all summer, and as explained previously, expected to get a full time offer from them this semester. Well here's the kicker. They called him today and said, "D, I'm sorry to make this call because we were going to offer you a job, but with the market the way it is, we are cutting back and we can't do that now." Wow. Nice.
Let's talk about the other one shall we. We'll call him N. N wants to get a job working for the government in the state I'm from and trying to get back to. The judge he wanted to clerk for said that, get this, the state, the STATE, doesn't know if it's going to have money to function, so he would probably not be able to hire anyone and would be doing all the work himself. (This in and of itself is crazy, cause judges never do anything by themselves) So again, wow.
Thus I have a choice. I can, 1) cry, give up and throw things, or 2.) I can laugh, because laughing makes everything better, and keep the faith that the economy will turn around in time for graduation and I will be able to get an even better job than I would otherwise. Yes, I'll chose the second!

No comments: