Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Wealth of (unused) Information


Friday, as I was leaving campus, I was walking behind a guy from my class. He was walking incredibly slow and playing with his iPhone. I, being a fast walker, really wanted to go around him, but he was taking up the whole hallway. So I had to slow down as not to knock him over until we got to the door leading to the parking lot, when I could make a break for it and get around him. He was well aware I was behind him and knowing this guy, I'm not surprised that he was completely oblivious to everything going on around him. When we go to door he opens it just far enough for him to get through and then let it shut in my face. Seriously?! Where is the chivalry?

This is one of my pet peeves - I mean how hard is it to hold the door open for someone? Especially when they are right behind you! So I was thinking about this and how he was going to be making his way into my blog soon, but how completely unaware he was about this. This lead me to this thought:

Men could learn so much about how to act, dress, behave in general if they knew about this blog community!


I mean women are not that complicated! If a man would just stumble upon this wealth of information he would learn so much and be such a better man/boyfriend/husband/whatever! There are so many great blogs out there that recount these "not real" moments from their days and if men, and not just men, rude people in general, were to happen into this world, they could learn so much!

So, Mr. slow walking-phone talking-door slamming jerk ---- hold the door next time, please.


p.s. I love that it's 6 o'clock here and it's still bright out!

20 comments:

Lucky in Love said...

Oh my...people can be so rude!! That happens so much...it's really sad.

I totally agree...boys should definitely be reading these blogs...they would learn so much!! If they actually listened....

KRISTEN'S PALACE said...

sounds like tons of men i know :)

skywind said...

Hehe .... crazy people play games. :)
Health is the Greatest Happiness
The World at The Present

Tiff said...

I had a similar experience and then the same day a guy saw I was carrying a bunch of stuff and literally ran up the stairs to get to the door before me...I may have melted a little.

And...I hate slow walkers too--drives me crazy!

Radical Selfie said...

Uh, Island Girl, you're assuming that most men would take the time to read a blog that didn't have anything to do with half-naked chics or sports. I know it sounds cliche, but I've actually done informal surveys and many (NOT ALL) guys think chic blogs are akin to Lifetime Movie Channel and Oprah. So, unless we put our messages across "items of interest" for many of our male counterparts, we just have to a) mow over slowpoke impolite lame guy, b) have our actual gentlemen relay the message to other men via their own blogs, or c) open our own doors and make sure lame guy sees how peeved we are about his lack of chivalry.

Freck said...

Ughhh!!! I hate how some guys don't even know what chivalry IS! I would have been upset, too. There should be a universal blog that ALL guys should read so they'll know better.

Lauren said...

Ugh! I do hate that... It's really just common courtesy to hold the door for someone behind you. Oddly enough, here in Vegas people are door holders. Like, will-wait-for-you-to-round-the-corner kind of door holders. I was floored, really. I've had more doors opened and held for me in the last 6 months than I have in a long long time. Just now that there are still people who are polite out there... *directs comment to Mr. Jerkface* And you could learn from them buddy!

;)

Xazmin said...

NO KIDDING! I often find myself thinking this exact same thing!

Celine said...

Agreed! Men can be real jerks!

Anonymous said...

People like that make me mad. It's not that hard to be kind.

MM said...

How rude! You are so right about this!

modestyv said...

It's sad how the common courtesy and chivalry of men has gone down so much! Where are these boys' mamas?

wife.mom.nurse said...

I LOVE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS! Yeah!!!

That is downright rude! Even if it were another woman for goodness sakes,where are the manners!

And I do love chivalry...I am teaching my son ")

The Blonde Duck said...

Karma will get him back...

Meg said...

I don't think its just men who are completely rude about door opening. I find myself a lot struggling to get doors open at places(I have a kid who is usually in a stroller or shopping cart). I swear most of the time people just walk past and don't even bother helping.

theUngourmet said...

Found you on SITS. Cute Blog!

Freck said...

Oh oh! You do?! Was it true to size when you ordered it?? I know my size at JCrew but this is a different style dress than I normally get. I'm getting nervous to take the plunge and get it because of the no-return policy...but it's so adorable!

Freck said...

Awesome! Thanks, and congrats on the weight loss! That's great :)

Tiffany said...

Please stop by my blog, Eat at Home and leave a comment today. Each comment is worth $1 for the Global Food Crisis fund and all you have to do is comment. SITS girls are great at that!

mary evelyn said...

ugh, i hate it when boys (and girls really) don't at least give the door an extra push for you as they walk in. that's all i ask for, really. just be courteous!

i love your blog, btw. your header makes me want to go and visit that beach.